The Department of Public Instruction requires the Forward Exam for grades 3-8 and 10 (Social Studies only).
**Due to the school closures for COVID-19, DPI has determined that it will not be possible to give state assessments during the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. The state has also received a federal waiver for federal testing requirements for this year.
This means that the Wisconsin Forward Exam will not be given this year.
For questions regarding MMSD, please email Tim Peterson, Director of Assessment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following letter will be sent to families:
Family information on the Wisconsin Forward Exam in English (pdf) from DPI.
Family information on the Wisconsin Forward Exam en Español (pdf) from DPI.
Family information on the Wisconsin Forward Exam lus hmoob (pdf) from DPI.
Learn more about appropriate changes to support all learners:
- This Supports and Accommodations document (pdf) provides specific information regarding accommodations and supports for Students with Disabilities and English Language Learners.
- 2020 Forward Exam Accessibility and Supports Guide (pdf)
- A graphic (pdf) showing Universal access tools, Designated support tools, and Accommodations for the Forward Exam. Even though the graphic says "2017", there have been no changes since then.
- Data Recognition Corporation (DRC) -- the test vendor -- has made available a basic, an online demo of their assessment platform. Click this "All Online Item Sample" link to use the site. This works best when using Chrome or Firefox browsers. It will not work in Explorer. This is designed to demonstrate features of the test, not specific question types for Wisconsin.
Learn more about the Wisconsin Forward test and how MMSD schools are doing at the DPI's WISEDash website:
Wisconsin's WISEDash public data system.
Learn about WISEDash with the A-Z support site.
More about WISEDash: FAQ site.
Learn more about the Wisconsin Forward test in the following document:
Wisconsin Forward Exam in English (pdf)
Wisconsin Forward Exam en Español (pdf)
Wisconsin Forward Exam lus hmoob (pdf)
How to read the student reports that families receive.
- DPI's "What is an Individual Student Report (ISR)?" document (pdf)
- DPI's "¿Qué es un Informe Individual del Alumno (Individual Student Report, ISR)?" documento (pdf)
- DPI's "Daim Ntawv Qhia Txog Tus Tub Ntxhais Kawm Ntawv Txoj Kev Kawm (Individual Student Report) (ISR) yog dab tsi?" (pdf)
- Individual Student Report text en Español (pdf)
- See this document for both proficiency band table and definitions of each proficiency band. (pdf)
- Specific information regarding the Wisconsin Forward Exam test administration (requires MMSD Staff password)